The 36th Annual Opera Competition
Semi-final Competition: Saturday, May 17, 2014
Final Competition: Sunday, May 18, 2014
1. The Competition is open to singers who are currently permanent residents of the United States of America.
2. All contestants must be between 21-35 years old as of May 17, 2014.
3. A non-refundable application fee of $25 (early bird) or $40 (standard) is required of all contestants.
4. The Application Deadline is Friday, April 18, 2014 at 5:00 pm CDT. Note: Acceptance of applications will stop at 5:00 pm CDT on Friday, April 18, regardless of postmark. The Early Bird deadline is Friday, March 21, 2014 at 5:00 pm.
5. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Fees will not be refunded.
6. All applications must be sent to via U.S. Mail or through YapTracker (link: https://www.yaptracker.com/applications/opera-birmingham-2014)
Attn: Opera Competition
3601 Sixth Avenue South
Birmingham, AL 35222
7. All entrants will be given consideration for casting in future Opera Birmingham productions as well as productions of the companies represented by the panel of judges.
8. All entrants must complete the application and send it to the address above or submit online through YapTracker, along with:
A. A professional resume
B. A recent photo or professional headshot
C. Proof of Age (examples include a copy of driver’s license or birth certificate)
D. A recording of two of the arias listed on the application (see #13)
E. Payment of the correct amount in the form of
- check or money order made payable to Opera Birmingham
- Visa, MC, Amex, or Discover card number, CVV code, Expiration date, and signature (on the application)
9. Entrants must be prepared to sing from memory four contrasting arias:
A. One aria in Italian
B. One aria in English
C. One aria in either French or German
D. One aria in any language of the singer’s choosing
10. All arias must be sung in the original key.
11. Translations from another language into English are NOT recommended for the English selection.
12. There can be NO changes to the four aria selections after the application is submitted.
13. Entrants must submit a recording of two (2) arias from the four offerings. Accompaniment must be piano only.
14. A panel will review the entries and select 20 semi-finalists. Opera Birmingham will notify the semi-finalists chosen by April 30.
15. Semi-finalists must provide sheet music by US mail or e-mail for all four required arias by May 9 to Opera Birmingham. No faxes of music will be accepted.
16. Opera Birmingham will provide accompanists for the semifinal competition. Singers may bring their own accompanist at their own expense.
17. Semi-finalists will have a private rehearsal room with a piano and accompanist for a 10-minute rehearsal prior to their assigned competition time.
18. Semi-finalists who are late for the assigned competition time will be disqualified from competition.
19. Opera Birmingham will choose two arias for the finalists to sing from the list of four submitted.
20. Opera Birmingham will provide the accompanist for the final competition. Opera Birmingham will provide rehearsal time for each of the 5 finalists prior to the final competition.
21. Opera Birmingham will set the order of singers for the finals.
22. Previous first prize winners of the Opera Birmingham Competition are ineligible for further competition.
23. Opera Birmingham reserves the right to disqualify contestants for any misrepresentation on their applications. All decisions by Opera Birmingham and its judges are final.
24.For additional information, please call the Opera Birmingham office at (205) 322-6737 between the hours of 9 A.M. and 5 P.M., Monday through Friday. You may also email Justin Bing with the subject line Opera Competition if you have additional questions. Thank you for submitting your application!
Opera Birmingham’s community outreach events are geared to provide underserved members of the community with opportunities to experience opera firsthand. Some of the organizations Opera Birmingham has worked with recently are North Roebuck Elementary School, Scrollworks, a music school which provides free lessons for underprivileged and inner-city children; New Pilgrim Towers, affordable housing for seniors; Brookdale Place senior living facility; and St. Anne’s Home residential treatment facility for women.